First up, a set of Digital Grey Kards. This is something every photographer can use - if not needs. This particular set has a handy strap for easy carrying - no shuffling around trying to find them when they're needed. Plus it has 3 cards - black, white, and gray. Useful and complete! Just this past weekend, I shot the advent candle lighting ceremony for Apostles Church. The auditorium we meet in has a mix of tungsten and natural light. The walls are painted blue. White balance in there is a headache and a half, but not anymore. This photo (except for cropping and resizing) is straight out of the camera. So much better.

Next up, a remote flash trigger by CowboyStudio. I'll be honest - I've been wanting a remote flash trigger for a while. PocketWizards are wayyy out of my price range, but the CowboyStudio trigger is a nice little unit and I was pretty stoked to get my hands on one.
For a fraction of the cost, I get the distance I've been wanting. Or so I thought. When I hooked it up and tried to fire it, I got nothing. No indicator light on the receiver, no flash. Checked the channels and connections, everything was ok. Turns out it won't work with dead batteries. Once I got some fresh ones, it hasn't misfired once in probably nearly 200 fires. The only drawback is that it doesn't work with TTL metering, so you have to set the power output manually, but I've had no trouble with sync speed (tested up to 1/125) or range (although I haven't really pushed that yet). And one bonus I didn't expect - the bottom side of the receiver has a socket for a tripod head. So not only is my flash off the camera, it's securely on a tripod. Or for some real creativity, on a Gorillapod. Fun stuff, can't wait to explore it more!
Finally, something I never thought I'd ever actually have, but always thought it would be incredibly useful whenever I'm taking pictures of my little sweetheart (which happens a lot more often than I manage to post here). It started when my better half and I were perusing Amazon for photography purchases, and she asked if we could get a back drop. Sure thing, I said, but unless we really up the price, it'll just be something we stick on a wall and won't have a seamless transition from floor to wall. A whole frame with a backdrop is wayyy out of our price range. Then we found this little ePhoto number - a frame with 3 backdrops - on sale. Instead of getting one backdrop to stick on the wall (and replace the black towel I've been using), I now have white, black, and chroma green on a frame.
The frame is sturdy and collapses quite nicely (even includes a carrying bag). The backdrops are fabric, but a bit thin. However, if you hang one on the frame and clip another one to the back of the first one, you don't have to worry about anything showing from behind. I've never tried to use a green screen, so I can't vouch for how good this one is. But it's pretty nifty to have it included in the package, so I'll give it a go at some point. Stay tuned.
So when all of that is put together, how does it turn out? Well, I should've ironed the backdrop before using it, so I had to do a little background blurring in photoshop. But I think the overall results are pretty good, especially for a first try!






Not bad for a first go around with all this gear (or so I think). Still quite a bit to learn, though, but it'll be fun.
Until then, Merry Christmas!

And remember that as precious as this little babygirl is (well, precious to us, but we are a bit biased!), she's not the One who makes Christmas matter. He's the Reason, He's our Hope, and He's our Joy. I hope you all are blessed by the gift that is Jesus Christ this Christmas season.
great stuff steve! congrats on the new gear. I had your parents over for a few days after Christmas and we got talking about photography quite a bit.
ReplyDelete